Sunday, July 31, 2011

Let it Go

Last week, my office hosted a Women's Tech Talk, essentially a networking event for women in the Austin tech industry. We had a great discussion about the struggles we face as women trying to balance demanding careers with our home life. The discussion really hit home, as striking a balance has always been a challenge for me. I know it will get infinitely harder once we add children to the mix and at times I feel as though I should have it all figured out before we start a family, as though it's some sort of parenting prerequisite. The reality is, no one ever truly figures out that perfect balance (despite what their Facebook updates might indicate!)

After reflecting on this the past few days, I've come up with a few reminders for myself:
  • I can strive for the balance that works for me, but it's not going to be perfect, and that's ok.
  • My priorities might change over time, but that should be based on what works for me and my family, not on anyone else's expectations
  • Similarly, my friends' priorities will be different than mine and I will always respect the paths they choose
  • I'll need to be more ok with "outsourcing"  activities (cleaning, baking) if it doesn’t make sense to do it all myself
  • I'll remember to take a step back and look at the bigger picture so I can stay focused on what truly matters.
  • Whenever possible, I'll find ways to support other women – in the workplace, over brunch, at book club, and even via this blog
Ultimately, it seems to come down to letting go. Of the idea of perfection, of the expectations you take from (or place on) others, of the feeling of guilt you carry for not getting to all the things that might not even matter. I'm going to start right now by letting go of my urge to find a photo for this blog post so I can head to the mall with my sister instead. I hope you all remember to let go a bit and enjoy a little lazy Sunday as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment